Sunday, April 03, 2011

Bound away


View Tuk in a larger map


I've only been here for a day but I feel comfortable saying that life in Tuk is remarkably different than Inuvik. For starters, I feel like I'm living at the edge of the world (in a way I guess I am). As well, there's something unsettling about living in a climate where trees can't grow. I took my camera out this morning and it was so cold that it stopped being able to function (it was fine after being inside for a minute). There are two grocery stores (one deals mainly in dry bulk goods and frozen goods). Food prices are steep -$12.00 for 2 litres of milk and that's with the ice road open. Produce is, unsurprisingly, not in great shape (it's like it tried to go a few rounds with Mohamed Ali); the diminished state doesn't translate into cheaper prices. In a bigger city I'm pretty sure most grocers wouldn't even try selling what's available up here.
At this point I don't miss booze but it is different that I can't buy some whenever I want. My roommates asked that I bring them some wine - most of which has already been put to good use. Another difference I'm sure I'll miss in the future is that Tuk is without a restaurant. Fortunately I seem to have hit the jackpot and ended up with housemates that like to cook (and cook well).
Tomorrow is the first day of my new job. There are a lot of unanswered questions about what I'm doing and what's been happening at the Centre in the absence of a teacher. I have the key to the building and my supervisor is a 2 and 1/2 hour drive away. I guess I'm up to bat.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

It must be strange for you to live with people who like to cook (or who cook at all)--haha. Good luck!

Bronwen said...

...but not strange to live with people who love wine :)

Hope you had a great first day!