Saturday, April 02, 2011

come on and wake me up

Wasiata.blogspot.com is now: unpaused.

A scant two weeks ago I was in the Bahamas with Capital M for the wedding of Hamesy and Dyson (nickname approval pending). The wedding was a blast though I'm still off rye and liquor in general. It pains me to say this but I think teenagers handle their booze better than I do. In my defense I was trying to help the newly wedded couple get the most for their money at the open bar. Yes, gentle reader - I drank for the noblest of reasons.
Shortly after arriving back in Toronto I was offered a short term contract with Aurora College - this time in the smaller, more northern community of Tuktoyaktuk. The job offer had been a long time in coming (I applied before Christmas) and it explains the view from where I am currently sitting.
From the window in the kitchen I can see the Beaufort Sea (Arctic Ocean if you'd rather) and a lone pingo in the distance. What I don't see are any trees or anything more than the tips of grass poking through the snow. The thermometer outside the window reads a temperature thirty degrees colder than the weather in Toronto. I share a home with 4 other people (I never thought I'd have housemates again) and have already been treated to what may have been the finest bowl of soup this side of the Arctic Circle. Housing in Tuk is extremely limited and I'm actually lucky that this place had a spare room.
I start my job on Monday - on Tuesday I'm having an open house so if anyone is interested in seeing the Learning Centre please come by (seriously).

3 comments:

sara said...

good luck jesse!!!

Marcia said...

Hooray for unpausing! I like that picture--maybe you can climb a pingo (pingooo!) this time around :)

Jeff said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT