Saturday, April 23, 2011

gone so long

Some kids playing in the snow with the tundra stretching into the horizon. There haven't been too many days where the weather was warm enough for people to do much outside. (Can you spot the pompom on the top of a toque somewhere in this photo?)

I took this on my short walk to work one morning. The houses in the distance (far left) are actually on the edge of the harbour. I'll be sure to take a similar picture when the ice breaks up.

I may have been the only person to go to work during last week's blizzard (at least in the morning). There was a bit of lull in the wind when I took this. It was cool (figuratively and literally) to be out in an Arctic blizzard but I saw first hand how easy it would be to get turned around and totally disoriented when the world becomes nothing more than a few shades of gray and white.

The snow is probably close to to 4 meters deep. The recent blizzard was key in the formation of the stylish peaks on the snow bank that now mostly covers the sign for the Learning Centre.

Another morning shot. I took this shortly after arriving in Tuk. The daylight has already extended so much that I'd have to leave well over an hour earlier to try and catch the same lighting.

No comments: