Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Easy E don't come for free

Dear Sun,

I know we've both been really busy lately but I feel like we're seeing less and less of each other. I won't argue that we've had our share of ups and downs (like that time you burnt my ear, or the time, when I was younger, that I suggested we should send you all of our garbage) but I know that we have a good thing going and that our past only makes us stronger. I'm committed to doing whatever I can to see more of you; I hope you feel the same.

Yours faithfully,
Jesse V.

Sunrise: 10:20am
Sunset: 7:00pm

1 comment:

butterfly-girl said...

Jesse!!!
I have been traveling and very busy with my little crabbucket and was amazed to finally discover what you're up to! What a great experience!

I was researching baby foods and came upon some information about cinnamon (and, of course, immediately thought of you):

"Cassia is so closely related to cinnamon that it is used as a spice and called "culinary cinnamon". Cassia has a more intense flavor and is also more of an astringent than is "true" cinnamon. "True" cinnamon is the highest grade of cinnamon and is more mild, sweet and it's bark is softer. It is from the cinnamomum zeylanicum tree which is found in Sri Lanka.

The odds are 99 to 1 that the cinnamon you purchase in the grocery store is not true cinnamon but is actually cassia. True cinnamon is a very rare find in a grocer's spice aisle."

I'm sure you have "true cinnamon", as you seem to be the expert. I'm going to have to do some taste testing when I get back to a place where I can buy decent spices. (I feel your pain re: food selection, prices, availability) and I think UHT milk is gross but necessary. Dom and I refer to it as "fake milk" (even though we know it isn't). And you'd think a Caribbean island would have tons of great fruit? Not this one. Aside from local mangoes, everything else is imported and I don't know what they do to the fruit but it comes in all dried up and brown on the inside. My kingdom for a juicy Ontario peach!

Here's hoping you're hanging in there as the days get darker.