Sunday, September 06, 2009

solid gold

Right behind my new apartment is a section of the Trans Canada Trail (pictured to the right). It's actually the beginning of part of the trail, though the northern most section starts in Tuktoyaktuk. I walked along part of it today and saw some truly beautiful scenery. If the town of Inuvik were up for sale, it would probably be listed as a 'fixer upper' but the same cannot be said about the natural areas just past the edge of town.

It's been one week since I left Toronto. I've been told a great many things about living up north - most of which I have already forgot. Some of the things that stand out in my mind from this week are:
1) I was told to buy bear spray if I'm worried about roaming packs of dogs (I wasn't so much worried, just curious if they were a regular occurrence)
2) My landlord is from Jamaica and prefers Inuvik in the winter
3) This town is surprisingly international - some of the students at the learning centre are from the Sudan. One of my co-workers is from Iran and another is from Ireland
4) A certain brand of microwave meal that Capital M and I enjoy is available at one of the grocery stores. Moreover, there is a surprisingly decent variety of food stuffs up here
5) In general, food is at least twice as much as it is in Toronto (I already dislike buying food)
6) Chocolate milk is cheaper than regular milk. Though tempting, I will refrain from using it for my cereal
7) I was told not to cross my boss. This didn't actually alter any of my original plans for my stay up here.
Next week my stuff will hopefully arrive from Toronto and I have to get serious about trying to plan out my year.

No comments: