Saturday, September 12, 2009

and at night I like to look my best


My apologies for the infrequency of posts. The hotel I was staying at had a very unreliable internet connection and I wasn't disciplined enough to write anything in Word and post it later. Currently, I am sitting on the floor of my otherwise empty apartment (which may shorten the length of this post). I actually slept on the floor last night - my stuff will hopefully be arriving by the end of next week. There was no reason given for why my possessions were delayed in their transit but I suspect that the couch caused some trouble around the Winnipeg area and had to spend a few days in a holding cell.
I do actually have a place to stay other then a pile of clothes on the floor. Tonight, I plan to make use of the college's staff house. It's offered to visiting instructors and people who have unruly furniture. I checked it out this evening and it has a very 'temporary stay' feel to it. There's nothing in the house that offers a hint of someone's personality, nor are there any photos or keepsakes. It even smells temporary - like someone just finished washing the dishes before heading out the door with a packed bag (maybe someone did actually do this before I arrived). In any event, I am glad to have a bed to sleep on.
On my way back to my apartment I noticed someone had written "baby makers of the world unite" in chalk on the wall of the CIBC (the town's only bank). This struck me as funny because I think people are already doing this, quite literally, regardless of how old they are. From what I have seen so far, quite a few of my students are young mothers.

3 comments:

sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sara said...

oh sure blame winnipeg!!
we actually just got back (thanks to a super lady named m. curry who picked us up at the airport) and had to catch up on your blog (as it it bookmarked and did not know the address.
hope things are going well (or even ok) and that the dogs aren't picking on you anymore.

sara

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that Sara and Dave were in Winnipeg around the same time as the couch...now the pieces of the puzzle are coming together!

--MJC