Thursday, December 11, 2008

Scariest night of the year goes to - last night

I had just stepped out of the shower when I heard a strange and unidentifiable sound. At first I thought it was one of the cats wanting in the bathroom, as they are both obsessed with being in the tub when it's wet. However, when I opened the door there was no cat and the strange sound persisted. I soon realized that it was coming from the downstairs neighbour. At best the sound could only be described as a desperate wheezing. Capital M opened the door and saw our neighbour stumbling up the stairs. She managed to say "can't breathe" in between her laboured and terrifying attempts at breathing. I stood for a split second unsure of what to do. Part of me really wanted to be wearing more than just a towel; the other part knew I had to do something. I dialed 911 while M tried to assist our neighbour (I don't deny for a second that I had the easier job). Fortunately, our neighbour's breathing improved dramatically while I was speaking to the 911 operator. In the end no outside assistance was required. Our neighbour had no explanation for what happened; only that it sometimes does. She was also not inclined to stick around after she caught her breath. I was relieved then, when I heard her leaving for work in the morning.

1 comment:

Roxy said...

Jesse, that is intense. Quick thinking for you and marcia. I am sure she appreciated it.

:)