Thursday, March 23, 2006

Good for the economy

I notice things. In grade 10, I could always tell when my music teacher had on new clothes. Being that she was only 22 she was still in the habit of buying new clothes, unlike the rest of my middle aged teachers. I know this is hardly a super power but it keeps my mind active. For example, I was out one night at a restaurant with some friends and I witnessed something that still puzzles me. There was couple sitting next to us. The woman was all dressed up. She was a wearing an elegant dress, her hair was styled and she had clearly taken some time to get her makeup just right. Her companion was the complete opposite. He was wearing jeans and a tee-shirt. Nothing about his appearance gave any indication that he had put in a fraction of the time to get ready as his date. They were also at odds with their phsical proximity to one another. She wanted to be close, he wanted his distance (or so it seemed). My friends were of the opinion that they were on a first date - maybe they had met online and she was trying her best to impress. I however, was of a different opinion. There was a sadness in her eyes and I'm pretty sure she was making a last ditch effort to save their relationship. The restaurant, in the right circumstances, could be a romantic place. Dim lights, candles, soft music and good food (or so I heard, I never ate there). Through it all though, the guy seemed unimpressed. He left before she did, leaving her with the bill. Thinking back, it really was a sad occassion. I can remember her crying at one point, after he had left. It wasn't a loud, sobbing cry but the kind that happens when you try and hold back the tears.
My friends held firm in their belief that it was a first date that didn't go well. And, maybe it was. I'll never really know.

No comments: