Saturday, June 25, 2011

Someday

I took a bunch of pictures today and none of them really turned out. I'm sorry this one's a little blurry but it's the best of the bunch. This will certainly make the challenge harder but it's still possible. One last thing - I took this is in the library room of the Learning Centre. I'm calling these shelves the 'new acquisition' section since all of the books on it were recently donated. If you look carefully you'll see 'Freedom' by Jonathan Franzen. Sara gave the book to me before she moved to Red Deer. If I'm not mistaken Sara gave up on the book and I can see why. The novel had an extremely hard start (it kind of read a like a catty script from Desperate Housewives) and characters that were difficult to like (I don't think I've ever disliked a non-villain character as much as I disliked Joey Berglund. My dislike of him was so strong that I kept reading the book in hopes of seeing something bad happen to him - nothing awful but fitting for his personality) In the end I'd have to say that I was okay with 'Freedom' - it mostly made up for the things that drove me crazy while I was reading it (even Joey).

One of these things is not like the other
(40 points). Good luck!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The book Witness by Amber Frey (on the second shelf from the bottom on the left) is flipped around the other way--is that it?

Marcia said...

Oops that was me! I was so excited to be the first to comment I forgot to put my name.

Jesse V. said...

Marcia - you've made a very astute observation but the judges had something truly different in mind. They have decided to award you 10 points for your efforts. Keep playing.

Marcia said...

OK is it the diabetes cookbook on the shelf with Harry Potter and Kids can Cook?
(PS--thanks for the 10 points :)

Bronwen said...

is it that one of the books on the top right shelf is a darker yellow than the rest???

David said...

there's a movie in the 2nd shelf from botton. I can't see very well the title of the movie! ;)

Jesse V. said...

There were a lot of valiant attempts but it's David who wins this round. The movie 'Rabbit Proof Fence" is on the 2nd shelf from the bottom. David you now have 90 points! Well done.
Sorry I haven't posted anything this weekend. I will post something tomorrow and it will be the end of the game (for now). Thanks to every one for playing.

robotropolis said...

I'm just about to start reading Freedom for book club and quite dreading it. Which is funny because I did genuinely like The Corrections but I have this funny feeling I am going to detest Freedom. Oh well, nothing like low expectations to improve a reading experience.

PS I have now bookmarked your blog and I spend a lot of time on the internet so prepare to be inundated.

robotropolis said...

PPS That was the worst-written comment I think I have ever made. I'll try to step it up!

Jesse V. said...

Hey Sarah,
I'm delighted you read my blog (though you may not have known that given how long it took me to reply to your comment). I hope you enjoyed 'Freedom' enough to at least get through it.
See you soon.
Jesse V.