Friday, April 08, 2011

A cloak of Elvenkind

I'm not going to lie - it's really fracking cold up here. There's usually a strong wind that comes right off the Arctic ocean and even though Environment Canada says it's only in the -30s, I say it's colder than anything I've experienced before. Unsurprisingly there isn't much happening outside at any given time.

I guess someone made a decision not to shovel the steps leading to the learning centre prior to my arrival (maybe it was too cold). I had already chipped away the the snow bank that had a few footholds kicked in before I took this photo. A person wanting to gain access to the school literally had to climb up a wall of snow.

It took me well over an hour but I managed to dig out the bottom steps. I'm glad there are no students who require use of the ramp leading to the school - you can kind of see the railing in this picture.

Coming up this week is the Beluga Jamboree. Much like the Muskrat Jamboree in Inuvik there will be all sorts of competitions for people to show off their skills in areas such as: starting a fire and making bannock, ice fisihing, skidooing and dog-sledding to name a few. It should be fun and provide me with a few photo ops.

No comments: