Thursday, May 20, 2010

but in the mean time

The big news around town is that the ice is breaking up on the MacKenzie River. This means the Dempster highway will reopen earlier than expected. My plan was to take these pictures in the early morning hours on the weekend but I'm glad I went out after work. By the time I returned home a lot of the ice was already gone.




I'd like to know where that root came from. It's also interesting to note just how far the ice gets pushed up on land. It's possible to see this process in the video.


I've seen the ice melt on rivers before but never like this. The noise heard in the video is the sound of the ice shards hitting each other in the water. It's a bit muffled in the video but it sounded like rubbing ice cubes together.
My apologies for the poor camera control.

-one last thing - it's possible to click on the pictures to get an enlarged view

6 comments:

sara said...

awesome

(word verification is extrap...I'd like to use it in a sentence: your post was extraply awesome)

Marcia said...

Agreed--those pictures are amazing. Or, to use my word verification, I almost can't blegievi my eyes!

bigjon said...

Great paricks and video - and descriptive narrative. Thanks!

Marcia said...

Haha--paricks--I just got it!

JMill said...

It looks like the Fortress of Solitude from Superman II (and possibly Superman - I can never remember).

Fantastic.

Jesse V. said...

Hey everyone, it's great that you liked the paricks.
Jay- I had the same thought about the ice. To be honest I was a little sad Gene Hackman wasn't around.
Extraply,
Jesse V.