Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Funny feeling

I would have admonished my English students for assuming the reader knows too much as I did in yesterday's post. I did not tell why Tropicana was filming a commercial up here - it was to coincide with the Sunrise Festival. On January 6th the sun bashfully made a brief appearance before ducking down below the horizon. The following weekend the town held the Sunrise festival complete with a town feast on Friday and a bonfire the next day. The filming of the commercial happened a few hours before the fire. Unfortunately, my camera batteries died before the balloon was lit up but if you follow this link you'll see some great pictures of Tropicana's artificial sun.
In school related news, my supervisor recently told one of my students that she would rather have her at school for two days a week than drunk at home for seven. The woman has to be sober at school. Another of my students told me that her step-father died of a heart attack while they were dancing at a New Year's dance. Sweet mother of Santa Fe. Oddly, the girl didn't seem too fazed by this.

I thought I'd wrap this post up with another new word that should be included in the dictionary:
portentially - adv. a omen that signifies a possible occurrence
How is this not a real word?

1 comment:

butterfly-girl said...

love the photo on this entry, Jesse. I love the condensation on the glasses but I think my favourite part is that your agenda (I'm assuming for school) has question marks in it!! Looks just like mine - maybe we'll do this today and maybe we won't!