Sunday, September 27, 2009

just like me

Tips on Living in Inuvik:

Those who pay attention to national events already know that 911 is not available in the North West Territories. As such, if you (like me last night), happen to hear a violent domestic dispute you'll know to call the R.C.M.P directly or the operator. Calling 911, as I found out, results in a recorded message saying: "this service is not available." You may be undaunted by the recording, your fear that someone is going to be, or already is hurt may override any inclination to leave the matter alone. A call to the R.C.M.P station may placate your concerns but will implicate you more than you might think. At 7 A.M, about an hour after I was woken up by sounds of the fight, and about 20 minutes after I heard a women crying on the phone saying, "I'm covered in blood," the police pounded on my door. (The word pounded is no exaggeration). I was greeted by the sight of 4 officers, none of whom seemed inclined to use an indoor, 'let's be quiet so as to not wake everyone' voice (this was also evident when they shouted "it's the R.C.M.P before I opened the door). They wanted my statement for what I had heard. Their presence was quite a surprise and I would imagine that few people who live in the building will now wonder who reported the incident. It was also kind of invasive having them in my apartment - they are trained to take notice of their surroundings and, while I had nothing to hide, it was strange to have them give my place a visual once over.
There wasn't much I could tell them:
At around 3:00 in the morning I heard a woman and man fighting loudly. I couldn't distinguish whether they were inside or outside or even say exactly if they were to the left or the right.
Eventually the man left, the fight ended and I went to sleep.
Sometime near 6:00A.M I was woken up to the sounds of the same voices only this time they were even louder. The fight kept escalating and before long I heard a lot of crashing sounds. The woman would scream and sob loudly after a crash and that's when I thought I should call 911. Eventually I heard footsteps pounding down the hall and the sound of the front door opening and closing. I heard the woman dial a phone and talk to someone, she said "I don't know what do, my face is covered in blood, my (something?) is covered in blood." Her conversation was broken by crying fits. I couldn't hear much more than that but she did keep asking where someone was.
She left minutes before the R.C.M.P arrived.
The R.C.M.P told me they found evidence of someone who was injured but that they couldn't find an actual victim. They had a suspicion as to who it could be but the woman wasn't answering her door.
So to you, future citizen of Inuvik, know that your actions are not anonymous, how ever well intended they may be.
(Pictured above is one of the town's many utilidors.)

2 comments:

sara said...

that's intense

Roxy said...

Oh dear, that is horrible. Eeep.