Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Hail Cesar

I ran into some bullies this morning on my way to work. I was just walking along minding my own business when I noticed three dogs running on the other side of the street. They looked really happy (they made me feel happy just from looking at them). I thought nothing of it when they crossed to my side of the street but my feeling of well being changed when the lead dog adopted an aggressive posture, barred his teeth and started growling and barking at me. The other two dogs followed suit and I stopped dead in my tracks. The lead dog did a little lunge at me and I stepped back. I started thinking "What would Cesar Millan do?" Then I remembered that I've only seen 'The Dog Whisperer' once and that was well over a year ago; I had no idea what he would do (I am pretty sure that he wouldn't have given up ground to an aggressive dog). I won't lie, I was starting to get a little scared as the dogs were all advancing on me. Fortunately, someone shouted one of the dog's names and it immediately dropped its aggressive stance. I'll try and avoid those three in the future, or at least make sure I have some lunch money on me.
My day at work was pretty busy. There was a meeting in my classroom about the malodorous occurrences that require building evacuations. According to the building managers it should now be fixed (one can only hope). My teaching schedule was changed and I suspect that it may change again before all is said and done. Bring it on.
I stopped by an apartment on my way back to the hotel. It was really hot, kind of dumpy and all for the low price of $1250/month (it's run by a former prison guard; I guess it was in pretty rough shape before she took it over). I'm seeing a few more places tomorrow and then I'll have to make a decision. So far I'd like not to live in the building I saw today.
One last thing, there is snow in the forecast for Saturday.

2 comments:

Roxy said...

What would Cesar do- that is too funny. Cesar makes a weird kind of hissing sound while kicking the dog lightly- but i think you would have got your leg bit off!

Unknown said...

I remember a couple of things Cesar advised mail carriers.

Don't let a dog get behind you (As well, one will get your attention while the other sneaks around to bite you.) That actually happened to me once when I was doing the paper route thing.

Look as big as you can--umbrellas help here.

I am thinking don't make eye contact ( a challenge)but don't give ground (shows you are weaker).

Postal carrier sites should have good advice. It was lucky someone was there.

Jon has found that occasionally dog owners get very huffy if he threatens a dog that is threatening. You know the "he won't hurt you" line. Sometimes that is followed by the "He's never done that before" line as they hurry away, without leaving a name.

The pictures of the area look great. I always thought living on a houseboat (on calm water) would be very cool. (Hah, I just realized it WOULD be very cool, cold even.) I bet it would be damp too, but it is nice to have some illusions.

The room looks great; i hope it works out.

Signed,

Lucky mother of the divine Capital M.